Helena Driver Exam Station Tries Scheduled Customer Appointments
HELENA – Motor Vehicle Division administrator Dean Roberts today announced that, beginning July 10 and running through October 31, the Helena driver exam station will ask its customers to make appointments rather than just stop by.
“At our busier times, it’s not uncommon that we have customers backed up and they have to wait quite a while,” Roberts said. “By switching to specific scheduled appointments, we hope to significantly reduce, if not altogether eliminate, the amount of time people need to stand in line.”
When people call for an appointment, Roberts said that the scheduler also will remind people exactly what they need to bring, reducing the number of customers who leave frustrated because they didn’t have all of the required identification documents and other paperwork.
“We now have situations where parents may end up taking an afternoon off work to get their child’s driver license,” Field Operations Bureau Chief Kristine Thatcher said. “And if they miss the information posted at the entrance, they may wait in line only to find that they need a certified state-issued birth certificate rather than the hospital-issued birth certificate they’ve brought with them.”
By having customers talk with a scheduler first, Thatcher said that her bureau hopes parents and other customers will be better informed about what they need to bring with them, as well as being served at a designated time.
Beginning July 10, customers in the Helena area should call a customer service scheduler at 443-3680 to set up an appointment with the Helena driver exam station.
Appointments will be required for Helena-area customers who:
- have not held a Montana driver license
- have a previous Montana driver license that has been expired for more than three months
- need to take the written and drive tests for a regular class D or commercial license, or for a motorcycle endorsement. This includes all driver education students taking the test for their driver licenses.
- are requesting vehicle identification number (VIN) inspections
- wish to transfer a valid out-of-state license for a Montana license
- already have a Montana license, but want to upgrade to a commercial license or add an endorsement, such as a motorcycle or tanker endorsement
Customers who need the following services can opt to either make an appointment or stop in:
- Montana renewals
- Montana identification card
- Montana replacement driver license (including name and/or address changes)
“In addition to providing better service to each and every customer, customer scheduling should allow us to have the appropriate personnel available at our exam stations and schedule required staff training with less disruption,” Roberts said. “But we want to test how well it works first, before we decide whether this is something we should consider implementing statewide.”
The new scheduling service is being tested in the Helena driver exam station only. All other exam stations statewide will continue to operate as they have in the past.
The Helena driver exam station typically serves customers from Helena, Townsend, Boulder, Lincoln, Wolf Creek, Basin, Elliston, White Sulphur Springs and Augusta.