The Montana Office of Consumer Protection educates consumers about deceptive business practices and administers various consumer protection laws. If you’ve got questions about your rights, we can help.Here you’ll find plenty of information about issues affecting Montana consumers. Navigate through the links on the right side of this page for tips and resources on buying a used vehicle, how to keep your personal information safe, hiring a contractor, who to call if you’re behind on your mortgage and much more. If you can’t find what you’re looking for or need additional assistance, please contact us.
The Office of Consumer Protection enforces Montana’s consumer protection laws and regulations related to:
- deceptive and misleading advertising, including “bait and switch” and false claims
- unfair acts by a business, including changing a contract after a sale, abusive arbitration and debt collection misconduct
- door-to-door sales
- telemarketing, including running Montana’s do-not-call list
- car and truck sales and repair, including the New Vehicle Warranty Act (or Lemon Law) violations
- antitrust issues, including price fixing, monopoly abuse and restraint of trade
File a Consumer ComplaintThe quickest way to file a consumer complaint is through our website. Click here to file. You may also file a complaint by mail. Start by downloading the form here. We have a lot more information about the consumer complaint process here.
2225 11th Avenue
P.O. Box 200151
Helena, MT 59620-0151
Phone: (800) 481-6896 or (406) 444-4500
Fax: (406) 444-9680