The online appointment scheduling service is available to schedule your own appointments for most services at the following stations: Billings, Bozeman, Columbus, Eureka, Glendive, Great Falls, Hardin, Helena, Kalispell, Miles City, Missoula, Red Lodge, Sidney, Superior and Townsend.
The days and hours of operation and the services available at Montana’s driver exam stations vary by location:
- Schedule of Office Hours and Locations (PDF)
- Motorcycle Endorsement: Exams for the motorcycle endorsement are available at any driver exam station. Depending on where you plan to take your test, you can schedule the test through the online Appointment Scheduling Service or, at exam stations that don’t offer online scheduling, you can walk in to take the test.
- You must pass the knowledge test before you make an appointment to take the driving test.
- Motorcycle driving tests are not given on wet roads.
- Commercial Driver License (CDL) Testing:
- CDL knowledge test: Can be taken at any driver exam station. Depending on where you plan to take it, you can schedule the test through the online Appointment Scheduling Service or, at exam stations that don’t offer online scheduling, you can walk in to take the knowledge test.
- CDL driving test:While Class C testing is available at all driver exam stations, Class A and B testing is available only at the offices indicated.
- For a Class A CDL driving test, call the Customer Service Center at (866) 450-8034 to make an appointment.
- For a Class B and C CDL driving test, call the exam station indicated to make an appointment.
- State Holidays: All driver exam stations are closed on state holidays.
- Allow Sufficient Time: Knowledge and driving examinations take time, so come early in the day to make sure there is sufficient time for a test. Driver exam stations tend to get busier during the afternoon. People who come into an office in the late afternoon may find that the staff does not have sufficient time to administer the required test. Please try to arrive at least two hours before closing time to allow adequate time for testing.
Rural Locations with Driver Exam Services – In rural locations, people who need to obtain or renew a driver license first pay for the license at their county treasurer’s office. The county treasurer gives them a receipt, which they present to the driver examiner.
Rural Counties without Driver Exam Services – There are some rural counties in which driver exam services are not available: Carter, Garfield, Golden Valley, Jefferson, Judith Basin, Madison, Petroleum, Prairie, Treasure, and Wibaux.
To get or renew a license, residents of these counties may pay for and take their driver exams at one of the stations where a pre-paid receipt is not required. See the Schedule of Office Hours and Locations (PDF).
Mobile Phone Restriction – As a courtesy to people taking their knowledge tests, mobile phone use is not allowed in driver exam stations. Please turn off your mobile phone when you enter a driver exam station.
Credit Cards Not Accepted – Please be prepared to pay for your license with cash or check (U.S. funds only).
Questions or Comments – Call your local office on the days it is open if you have questions or concerns.